ONE PART DIVAN BASE
- Remove all packaging, taking care not to damage your new bed, and dispose of it carefully.
- Turn the base upside down and insert the feet into the holes at each corner.
- Gently knock them into the holes until they click into place (if you have difficulty doing this insert a small screwdriver into the locator hole to clear the blockage).
- You can also apply a downward force on top of the bed to click the feet in if needed.
REMOVING FABRIC DRAWER STRAPS
If you have ordered a bed with drawers, there will be fabric retraining straps ensure that your drawers do not slide open during transit. They are stapled on the inside and bottom of the of the divan base. To remove them without damaging your divan base, please follow these instructions,
- Cut the fabric strap across its centre to release the drawer.
- Cut the remaining fabric strap to the desired length so it is not in the way when opening and closing the drawer and remove the strap and any extra staples from under the bed.
TWO PART DIVAN BASES
If your bed base is in two parts, connect them together using the appropriate procedure for your base type as detailed below.
DIVAN BASE WITH U-CLIPS
- After fitting the feet, turn both parts of the divan on their side and bring them together so that the two flat ends meet.
- Where the ends meet, fit the U-CLIPS so that they clamp around the underside timber edges to hold the two parts firmly together.
- After fitting the U-CLIPS lower the divan down so that it is right way up ready for the mattress to be placed on top.
DIVAN BASE WITH LINK BARS
If your divan base is in two parts which connect together in this way, it will have come supplied with two LINK BARS (and 2 U CLIPS for Signature models).
- After fitting the feet, turn the two parts of the divan base the right way up and bring them together so that the two flat ends meet.
- On each side, close to where the two parts meet, you will find pre-drilled threaded bolt holes. Connect the bases together by passing the bolts through the slots in the link bars and screwing them by hand into the threaded holes.
- After checking that the two parts of the base are firmly together, tighten the links bars into position.
OTTOMAN DIVAN BASE
We recommend for two people to complete the following assembly instructions as the ottoman is a heavy product.
- WARNING! The lid can shoot open when removing the fabric strap, use one hand to hold the lids in the closed position when removing the strap.
- Position the bases on the ground, carefully remove the fabric strap that holds the lid down during transit.
- Please note, the lids can remain in an open position by default once the fabric strap is removed, unless a mattress is placed on top. This is normal.
- The pistons can feel stiff at first but this is normal and once the lids are opened and closed a few times, the pistons will loosen.
- In some models you will be required to push and click the one end of the pistons into position.
- The feet and headboard fixtures will be found inside the base.
- If ordering a 4ft small double or bigger, your bed will come in two pre assembled parts, after fitting the feet, turn the two parts of the divan base the right way up and bring them together so that the two flat ends meet in the centre.
- Depending on your model you will have 2x U clips to join the bases together or 2x link bolts to join the bases together.
- For models with U Clips: Insert the U-clips provided to join the bases where they meet together in the centre between the storage compartments and tighten to create a snug fit.
- For models with Link Bolts: Connect the two bases together by inserting the link bolts and connectors through the two holes in the centre of the bases.
- Link the two lids by piercing the fabric in the marked positions on the lids and using the bolt provided to connect the two lids together.
- To attach your headboard first pierce the material at the locator bolts. Place the headboard up to the base, remembering to use the spacer blocks between the headboard and base. Insert the long bolts and tighten. There will be two long headboard bolts for each strut.
- Place your mattress on the Ottoman whilst it's in the open position.
- The unit is designed to operate with a mattress in place. Initially the gas struts may feel stiff when opening and closing the Ottoman; this is perfectly normal and movement will become easier after operating the unit several times.
OTTOMAN BED FRAME BASE
We recommend two people assemble to ottoman bed frame as the ottoman can be heavy. Please follow all the steps in the Ottoman Divan Base section above with the following additional points.
To attach the footboard to the bed, you will need to join them using the pre-installed brackets, lift the footboard up and slide the footboad brackets down into the ottoman bed brackets installed onto the end of the ottoman bed.
To attach the headboard you will need to pierce the fabric on the back of the ottoman bed to expose the screw fixtures on the back of the bed. Screw the headboard into the back of the bed base into the exposed screw fixtures. You may need to use the spacers provided depending on your mattress.
FIXING A HEADBOARD TO A DIVAN BASE
- The two wooden struts are attached to the back of the headboard, remove the wooden struts and use the screws provided to attach the struts to the headboard.
- There will be two screws for each strut, please ensure the legs are attach so that screw fixing are at the bottom of the headboard (see image).
- With the two extra screws supplied fasten the struts in position. Note that there are two holes in each strut to allow two height positions of the headboard.
- The headboard can now be fastened to the divan with the large headed screws supplied with the bed, one on each side (or two on each side for an ottoman bed)
- The height of the headboard against the bed can be adjusted by moving it up or down on the slots. Tighten the screws to the desired position.
IF YOU HAVE PURCHASED A MATTRESS ONLY
- Do not use a mattress on a base for which it was not designed. The best base for a mattress is a divan.
- If you are using a slatted base, we recommend spacing no greater than 63mm (2½”) between slats in order to avoid damage to the mattress.
- Do not use a solid plywood or hardwood base or place these materials under the mattress as condensation may build up through lack of ventilation, causing mould or deterioration on the underside of the mattress.
- The life of a mattress can be severely shortened by using it with an unsuitable base.
AIRING A NEW MATTRESS
After removing the polythene packaging allow the mattress to breathe for four hours before fitting your bedding. This will allow any moisture, which may have been trapped by the packaging, to evaporate. Your new bed may have an aroma of 'newness' or, if it contains memory foam, a slight “chemical” smell, this is perfectly normal and will soon fade after airing.
CARING FOR YOUR BED
- A double-sided mattress must be turned over regularly. This ensures even settlement of the fillings and will prolong the life of the mattress by making sure your body weight is applied evenly all over. A double-sided mattress should be turned over once every week in the first 3 months after it was purchased and monthly thereafter.
- A “Non Turn” mattress should be rotated 180⁰ head to foot once every week in the first 3 months and monthly thereafter.
- Over time your body will create a shallow impression in the surface of the mattress; this is perfectly normal and is due to settlement of the fillings. Regularly turning the mattress will minimise this effect.
- Remove the sheets and covers on a regular basis to allow air to get to your mattress. Air circulating through the fabric and fillings will help to keep it fresh and odour free.
- Using a mattress protector will help to guard against accidental damage to the mattress, protecting against dirt and stains, wear and tear and will help to keep your mattress looking new.
- Your new bed will feel different to your old bed and you should allow some time for your body to adjust to the feel of it.
- Do not bend, fold or roll your mattress - this will cause serious damage to the fillings, internal spring unit and wire frame.
- Do not jump or stand on your bed, this can cause damage. Do not allow children to use it as a trampoline!
- Do not sit on the edge for prolonged periods to avoid distorting the springs.
- Do not place heavy objects on the mattress, it is designed only to support your body weight, evenly distributed across the surface.
- If your divan base has drawers do not overload them, they are designed to hold lightweight items only.
- Do not use chemical or detergent cleaners as these may adversely affect the fabric and fillings. In the event of soiling, lightly sponge the affected area with a weak solution of soap and water. Avoid over wetting
- Do not vacuum the mattress as this can disturb the fillings. Lightly brush with a soft brush to remove dust and fluff.
- Do not move the bed by the headboard as this may cause damage to both the base and the headboard.